Pet Nutrition Services
The simplest and most effective step towards maintaining your dog or cat’s health is to keep them on a healthy diet.
Penfield Veterinary Hospital Pet Nutrition Services: Beyond the Standards
The simplest and most effective step towards maintaining your dog or cat’s health is to keep them on a healthy diet. At Penfield Veterinary Hospital, our staff can help you create a customized diet for your pet. We also carry a full range of specialty foods to address any special or prescription nutritional needs that your pet may require.
At Penfield Veterinary Hospital, our recommendations follow the guidelines of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). This ensures your pet receives the proper amount of protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and other nutrients. When determining the proper diet for your pet, we consider many factors including age, lifestyle, and overall health.
As advocates for responsible pet ownership, we encourage you to become knowledgeable about how to read pet food labels. Terms such as “human grade” and “grain-free” can be misleading, and we want you to have accurate information when making decisions for your pet.
Obesity Prevention, & Weight Management
For cats and dogs, being even slightly overweight puts them at risk for developing serious medical conditions, such as:
- Diabetes (type 2)
- Heart and respiratory disease
- High blood pressure
- Various forms of cancer
If your pet is overweight or obese, consider these tips for weight loss:
- To encourage movement, divide meals into smaller quantities and place them in different locations throughout your home. Also consider purchasing a toy that rolls around, slowly releasing food. This motivates pets to “work” for their meal.
- Make a treat bag that contains only the daily recommended amount of pet snacks. When the bag is empty, your pet should not receive any more treats. Be sure to involve the whole family!
- For cats, purchase interactive toys that require effort (such as laser pointers). Also, try throwing treats or toys up the stairs so your cat has to climb to retrieve them.
- Preventing obesity and managing your pet’s weight is easier than you think. Please contact us to begin exploring healthier lifestyle choices for your cat or dog.